Friday, August 9, 2013

Too Much Thrifting? Never.

Frequented by hipsters, families in need, and one hit wonder artists alike; one of the most interesting hobbies that I have found myself indulging recently is that of thrift shopping. With so many random items, a possibility for turning a profit, and something to take my mind off the current job search; I have made my way to various Savers, Goodwills, and private stores over the course of the past 8 months. 

Now you may ask yourself, "why would you waste your time touching used goods, while knowing that none of the leadership really cares about the causes they support?" Well, how often can you find a record player from the era records were popular, a blender that will last the rest of your life, or things as random as a fire hose? 

My favorite place, albeit a location I may never buy something, would have to be Thrift and Dollar on Route 31 (lake street) in Aurora. The aforementioned fire hose? Found it there. Speakers that are going to destroy anything on the market today? They have 15 sets. They even throw in an apothecary counter and 1940's soda shoppe coke fridge for good measure. If I continue my tenure in suburbia, there is a good chance I will be furnishing my apartment with items found there. 

Other than this, I will generally stop at a Goodwill if I see it, regardless of attire. This being said, I can honestly admit that I've shown up to many a thrift shop in a full suit.

Great weekend idea? Head to a local Goodwill, pick up a game or two (generally priced at $1.99), buy a case of beer, and enjoy some creative jurisdiction regarding the rules of Candy Land. 
All in all, I would have to say that this hobby has become my cheapest way to spend a lot of time while spending absolutely no money. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find an old school Nintendo.
What are your favorite thrift shops in the suburbs? What is the craziest item that you've seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment